May 13, 2011

Cine-Smackdown: #31-#40

70 movies down, chummies. Only 30 to go, and I am newly reassured that I will make it to the end in two years' time. That is, if summer and life don't get in the way. They might. Oh, they might. And now for the smacking!


31. The Maltese Falcon
32. The Godfather Part II
33.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

35.
Annie Hall
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai

37.
The Best Years of Our Lives
38.
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39.
Dr. Strangelove
40. The Sound of Music


I had not seen The Maltese Falcon, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Best Years of Our Lives or The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (all four totally dude-bro movies) previous to the blogviews.

Of these ten, which would I move further up the list?
I think most people would say The Godfather Part II should be further up on the list, but I think it sits farther down the list than its predecessor for a few reasons. But I can't ignore how affected I was by The Best Years of Our Lives. I know, right? Black and white WWII weepie? WHAT? But it's true. I don't think it smashes any boundaries, but it's a great story well told and that's all I really want. It got to me and stuck with me.

Of these ten, which would I get rid of?
There's too many classics at this point on the list to be able to do this very easily, but it's probably got to be The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The Maltese Falcon comes in second. Sorry, Humphrey.

Who in these movies do I want as my best friend?
It's probably too easy to say Fraulein Maria (The Sound of Music), but come on: she's got confidence in me (and sunshine), she plays guitar and sings, and she's brave... once she gets over her love-phobia.

Who in these movies do I want to have my back in a bar fight?
Well, Sam Spade (The Maltese Falcon) is clever enough to trick anyone out of knocking me out, and Captain von Trapp (The Sound of Music) could stop anyone will those Siberian-husky eyes, but I think the sheer loyalty and power of Michael Corleone (The Godfather Part II) would be unstoppable ... as long as you didn't make him think twice for any reason. I mean, ANY reason.

Who in these movies is your worst frienemy?
Michael Corleone (Godfather) takes the cake. Who wouldn't he betray? Who wouldn't he snuff out? But Dobbs (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre) would betray me pretty quickly too, although that's gold blindness talking, and there's a pair of female villains (in Cuckoo's Nest and Snow White) who seem cool and collected at first but who would just as soon feed you a poisoned apple or blame you for your buddy's death as look at you.

Who do I take home to Mom?
Homer (The Best Years of Our Lives)! She totally won't mind that he's got no arms, and neither would I. She'd probably be better enamored with Snow White or Annie Hall too, although they might both drive me nuts.

You're going on a date with these movies. Who do you agree to meet for coffee but never call again?
The Bridge on the River Kwai. We had a nice time, but I'm all set. And I don't want to end up in a POW camp in Burma, especially since my bridge labor is pretty much futile.

Who do you agree to meet for coffee, and then say you'll call but never do?
It's so weird for me to say this, but Snow White! I didn't hate it, but I have seen it and now I know I don't need to watch it again. But I think I maybe would. But I probably won't.

Who do you agree to meet for coffee, and then not show up?
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. They showed up, and meanwhile I stole their gold and headed back across the border.

Who do you meet for a first date, ends up staying the night and makes you breakfast in the morning?
Annie Hall. We'd talk a lot too, and the omelette would be kosher.

Who do you meet for a first date, ends up staying the night and then leaves in the morning without saying goodbye ... and steals your favorite sweater?
The boys in the Cuckoo's Nest, though they might not know any better... and Gutman (The Maltese Falcon) would probably also spike my drink and steal my artifactbird. And I think Rolf (The Sound of Music) would probably ditch me to be a Nazi. Harsh. Why am I choosing these people?!

What other questions would you have asked about these movies? I'd love more ideas! Leave your thoughts, reactions, passionate defenses and harsh critiques in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment